The Big Bang happened in 2005 when Aleksandr, a Vilnius-based DJ and producer who had been focused on drum’n’bass, accidentally heard Prospect II by Fluxion. It wasn’t the first time he heard the track but, at the right time and the right place, or, more accurately, the right depth, it pushed the artist to aim for fresh and dubby vibes and sounds. As the deal was done for the first release, the gradient of function U that Aleksandr studied at the moment gently became grad_u. The gradient demonstrates the direction of increase of the function, so, consistently, it also paved the path of grad_u’s musical journey.
But enough about maths. The sound of grad_u levitates in the golden middle between the ancient woods and the everyday asphalt jungle. The purity of these soundscapes is usually predetermined by recording the tracks on the tape, and inside these tapes, the producer encrypts both his family, everyday life, philosophical thoughts, space explorations, and some wild fantasies of how it all would sound live through a proper sound system.
After a few successful releases on Knowone, grad_u was determined to launch a vinyl-only label himself. That’s how Redscale was born, and, since its first release in 2012, the catalogue has already reached the number RDSCL09. Grad_u produces all of the tracks released on Redscale. The producer also collaborates with likeminded imprints, Echocord from Denmark being the latest (as of 2018) example of the dubby and timeless friendship.
Having formed strong yet subtle muscles by performing live and DJ sets in various clubs and festivals in Lithuania and nearby countries, for the past few years grad_u can in all sincerity be called an international artist. In the recent months, he has performed in cities like Kyiv, Helsinki, Budapest, Beijing, or Tehran and travels are planned for the near future.
The faraway locations, unlike surroundings and new people met on the road have transformed into creative influences. The busy schedule of the artist hasn’t managed to keep him away from the studio and label errands; a few releases are now lined up to be listened in bedrooms and beyond.
Nightlife blogger and journalist
Singles & EPs
- Saule EP | Signorafranca | 2006
- Laukiu rytojaus EP | Signorafranca | 2006
- Galwoju Apie Ja | Kyoto | 2007
- Excursion | Neurotron | 2009
- Ventilis | Neurotron | 2009
- Sunrise I / Sunset I | Knowone | 2010
- Knowone 007 | Knowone | 2011
- Redscale 01 | Redscale | 2012
- Redscale 02 | Redscale | 2012
- Knowone 013 | Knowone | 2013
- Redscale 03 | Redscale | 2013
- Redscale 04 | Redscale | 2013
- Redscale 05 | Redscale | 2014
- Surface Variations I | Greyscale | 2015
- Redscale 06 | Redscale | 2015
- Warfare | Grounded In Humanity | 2015
- Space Explorations EP | Echocord | 2015
- Redscale 07 | Redscale | 2015
- Surface Variations II | Greyscale | 2016
- Redscale 08 | Redscale | 2016
- Redscale 09 | Redscale | 2017
- Dream Observer | Echo Echo | 2018
- Balance EP | Pro-Tez | 2018
- grad_u & Mr. Cloudy | Apsupty Gamtos | ZeECc | 2009
- Re_grad (Resoe & grad_u) | Apfelbaum EP | Baum | 2016
- Sunset Sunrise LP | Neurotron | 2010
- Spectral Decay | Dumblys | 2010
- Sequences | Entropy Records | 2011
- Works And Reconstructions | ZeECc | 2011
- Surface Variations | Greyscale | 2012
- Endless Space | Greyscale | 2012
- Umwelt | Greyscale | 2019
- grad_u & Eazystyle MC | Everyday Temple | ZeECc | 2011